Position: Farm Manager
Reports to: Principal.
Location: Iganga, Uganda
Prime Vocational Institute (PVI) is a Private Training Institution registered by Ministry of Education & Sports. PVI was established in 2012 to promote access to quality market-oriented skills and gainful employment for the unemployed youth and working adults in Uganda. The Institute offers National Certificates under UBTEB and Skill based Courses under DIT in Agriculture, Automotive Mechanics, Electrical, plumbing, Hotel and Catering, Fashion and Design, The Institute pays attention to holistic empowerment of the trainees through entrepreneurship skills, computer competences, life skills development and nurturing of talents through co-curricular activities.
The Institute is presently operating at her own campus at Bugabwe, Iganga district. We have 24 well qualified and experienced staff, with equipped workshops and current enrolment of 276 students. Since its inception, the Institute has trained over 1000 trainees (over 25% female) in various technical, vocational and business courses.PVI has developed innovative training programmes including establishment of production and service units both at the Institute and within communities. These units provide an opportunity for hands on training in real work life situations for students.
Our vision is to produce market-oriented skilled professionals in technical, vocational and business education for gainful employment and sustainable development.
This position of Farm Manager is to take lead in the management and promotion of improved farm activities at the Institute. The Farm Manager will report directly to the Principal for the day to day operational activities and to the Director for business development.
- Develop work plans and business plans for improving both animal and crop production at the Institute Farm.
- Re-assess and improve management and profitability of the existing agribusiness enterprises.
- Initiate, manage and scale up profitable agribusiness enterprises at the Farm.
- Responsible for fundraising through proposal development, salable training services and products to the public and other Institutions/Schools.
- Supervise and direct workers attached to the Farm.
- Responsible for the effective and efficient operation of the Farm through cost minimization and revenue maximization efforts and strategies.
- Ensure that all enterprises undertaken are well managed in a responsible and professional manner.
- Develop operational budgets and ensures proper utilization of funds allocated to the Farm.
- Conduct up to at least six hours of practical sessions for all PVI students per week in collaboration with the Head of PVI Agriculture Department.
- Liaise with relevant resource persons, Institutions and government for improved agriculture related service delivery through the Institute.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of agri-related tailor-made courses for the target groups.
- Develop monthly and termly reports for integration into the PVI overall report.
- Answerable to PVI Principaland/or Director
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as shall be assigned by the Director and/or the Principal.
- Abide by the policies/requirements of the Institute and Ministry of Education & Sports including the administrative manuals and instructions issued from time to time by the higher authority.
Required Education and Experience:
- A Diploma in Agriculture preferable specialized in Animal Production from a recognized Institution.
- Additional qualification in agribusiness or entrepreneurship will be an added advantage.
- At least 2 yearswork experience in crop and animal production.
- Experience working with the private sector and civil society organizations is preferred.
- Experience with training farmers through demonstration and extension services.
- Excellent communication and team building skills.
- Ability to work with less supervision but with a sense of urgency and self – initiative.
- Willingness to travel and work in remote areas.
Interested persons should submit an application letter, CV and relevant testimonials to the Director, Prime Vocational Institute through email: email@example.com by March 27th, 2020.