Title of course: National Certificate in Hotel and Institutional Catering (NCHC)
Catering is recognized as one of the fastest growing industries that produces goods and services for direct consumption. A module in this course is aimed at boosting human resource capacity that can contribute to high quality service delivery in the catering sector.
2. Learning outcomes:
This syllabus is intended to produce graduates with skills in:
- Food production
- Food costing
- Food and beverages service
- House keeping
- Laundry operations
- Reception operations
3. Duration of the course
NCHC is a full-time course taught in two academic years. Each academic year consists of three terms of teaching, continuous assessment, practical and written examinations. At the end of each semester, trainees carry out industrial training which is a core module and lasts for at least six weeks.
The CBET system caters for free exit before completion of the programme once a learner has obtained reasonable skills to enable him/her do some work to earn a living. Such learner may return at a later time to continue with the course provided the course is not more than 5 years from the date of enrollmen
4. Entry requirements:
The minimum qualifications for NCHC are as follows;
- A Uganda Certificate of Education(UCE) or its equivalent.
- Uganda Junior Technical Certificate(UJTC) or Community Polytechnic Certificate or its equivalent.
- Prospects for National Certificate in Catering and Hotel Management
NCHC graduates may opt to further their skills and education by offering a diploma and eventually a degree inCatering and Hotel Management.
The National Certificate in Hotel and Institutional Catering (NCHC) has been modularized to cover;
- Baking and Confectionery
- Food Preparation
- Snacks and Fast Foods’ Preparation
- Restaurant Operations and Management
- Laundry and Dry Cleaning Operations
- Front Office and Housekeeping Operations
- Beverage Preparation
- Service and Events Management
- Basic Communication skills,
- Elements of Entrepreneurship Development
- Computer Applications
- Basic Kiswahili
- Basic French
A certificate of competence is awarded by UBTEB upon successful completion of each module
A trainee who completes the course with at least 2.0 cumulative grade points Average (CGPA) in all modules shall be awarded a classified ‘National Certificate in Hotel and Institutional Catering by the Uganda Business and Technical Examination Board (UBTEB)